Sunday, March 7, 2010

Updated hyperlinks, ranking formula, background image!

1. Hyperlinks now update the num_clicks variable. The links also redirect to the named url. One issue I have: I'd like to be able to stay on the current page, open the url in a new window, but I can't figure out how to do that. As it stands, clicking the link will navigate away from the page.

I was able to open a new window if it was just a straight up link (no num_click processing). It might be impossible to do both, we'll see.

2. In the 'index' controller method I had originally sorted the list of url's by number of submissions. It was trivial to update it to use a formula. Basically it is now ranked by the value of: (num_submissions * 10) + (num_clicks * 2) + (num_votes * 5). No way to vote yet though.

3. Found a pretty background image, added it to public/images, inserted a line into the CSS file, bam. The site looks way better for such a simple thing.

How should I implement the Categories? User picked (from drop down), or Steven's original 'keywords' idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment